Friday, October 24, 2008

Vanity- My Favorite Sin!


Correct me if I'm wrong but there is an ancient saying that those whom the gods would destroy they first make all powerful and proud. I hope RainB doesn't accuse me of using metaphors since I'm running out of words (and Andros please support me on this). Once in my life “the gods" took from me what I haughtily thought was duly mine . This place I am is where I started and it is impossible to start from anywhere else- I have no intentions of becoming greater than the hand that feeds me.

Let me narrate to you a story of a self-styled public figure and self-proclaimed crusader Atty Jun Francisco. For my readers pleasure I will mention the prominent Firms' that he worked for -ACRRA… The name alone commands respect, right dearies?

Yes, going through his case with ACRRA, I must admit that the then young lawyers intention looked pretty noble. It took me almost a week to scrutinize the cause of Jun's break-up with "The Firm". Well, I will rely on the "Good Book" to put down moral judgment; "Do not let loyalty and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."

Our crusader, Atty. Jun Francisco, filed a petition for a TRO against the collection of additional tolls in our public transport system. He did this devoid of his bosses' blessing and even against their wishes, according to my sources. The act may be commendable but to me loyalty outweigh everything else. According to my sources, he claims that this was his first taste of lawyering for the good and benefit of the "public". At any rate, he filed his petition without clearing it with his bosses at ACCRA. Indeed, the young lawyer was able to obtain the TRO- He is sharp and a go-getter.

When the hullabaloo reached his bosses in ACCRA and tittle-tattle about the episode spread around his office like wildfire, the young lawyer was finally called in. According to my sources, when he came to office that day, he was roundly applauded by his co-workers at "The Firm". He thought he had done them great service! But the round of applause wasn't really to praise him. My sources say, everyone was in fact sardonically mocking their young lawyer colleague. He was called straight into his boss' office and was "FIRED", according to my sources.

To this day, he "asserts" that the prestigious law firm was wrong in "firing" him.

Sources tell me that he filed a petition that was totally in conflict with one of the "The Firm's" client- There you go guys, another conflict of interest… The young lawyer perfectly knew this contradiction, yet he still persistently filed the petition. He succeeded in having his first dose of a "media frenzy". But as always, such early adulations especially from media can inflate the ego. Well, the trial that he defiantly undertook without "The Firms" consent cost him his job but he comforted himself with the thought that finally, he got the media attention he so believed he deserved – even at the expense of the law firm he works for.
Yet his "bosses" were kind enough not to run after his license. Nietzsche sums it all up in a famous saying- One who is inconspicuous in dealing with colleagues display his HUBRIS all the more strongly in dealing with things like the city, state and society.

Now it seems to me that vengeance has been consuming him.